4 years, 8 months ago
Video, pictures and words from The Planet D, exclusively for Trip+ as part of our #housetripping series.
Travelling with a group of people can be a lot of fun. You can enjoy the experience together, see the sights together and go out on the town with your best mates. If you share costs like food, transportation and accommodation, you will also save money. Renting an apartment with HouseTrip is the best way to do that. Imagine renting a large multi bedroom apartment in the coolest neighbourhood in town with your closest friends. At the end of each day you can kick back in the living room with a glass of wine and then retire to your own private space for a good night’s sleep.
Berlin is one of the hippest and most vibrant cities on the planet, and if there is one place I’d like to hang out with my friends while traveling, this town would be it.
But travelling with friends can also be difficult. Travel can sometimes make or break a friendship. So if you do decide to head out and see the world with your closest buddies, there are a few things that you should take into consideration.
1. Make sure to choose an apartment to suit the size of your group. Having your own space is important so decide on how many bedrooms you will need. Privacy is important. If you want to get away from everyone to have a nap, relax or simply read a book, you will want your own space. Sharing a room could save you extra money but it won’t save your sanity. When you choose an apartment, you have the option of privacy.
2. Clean up after yourself. You may be a slob at home, but when you’re traveling with a group of people, keep it clean. Don’t leave a mess in the bathroom. There is a toilet brush there for a reason. And in the kitchen be courteous and put your dishes away when you’re done eating. Most HouseTrip apartments have dishwashers so you won’t have to work too hard after cooking a meal anyway.
3. Split the cost. It can be a fun day to go to the local market to buy groceries for the week ahead. Everyone can pitch in and buy their favourites for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You don’t have to eat in every night, but making the choice to eat in at your apartment a couple of times during your trip will save you tons of cash.
When you do cook your meals, have everyone pitch in. It shouldn’t just be one person slaving behind the stove. Designate someone to chop, set the table, cook and clean up. Bring some local beer and wine home with you and you’ll have fun in the process.
4. Budget. Make sure you are traveling with someone on a similar budget. Do you want luxury or are you seeking a more budget friendly option? HouseTrip has apartments for all budgets, so discuss how much you want to spend on accommodation, sightseeing and food from the start. If you are constantly worrying about money or constantly the one picking up the tab, that will put a lot of tension into the vacation and the friendship. Discuss the budget before you book your trip. That way you can choose your apartment appropriately and not have to worry about what the other person is thinking.
5. Communicate. You’ll be spending a lot of time together so make sure you communicate how you like to travel. If you like to explore on your own, but your friend likes company, you may not be the best-suited travel companions for each other. Before you go talk about what you expect. What sights do you have your heart set on seeing and how much do you want to party or stay in? Make sure you choose people who have a similar travel style and communicate just how much or how little time you want to spend together on the road. Communication and proper space will make for a great vacation.